Post-polio syndrome (PPS) is found in survivors of polio who began noting new and debilitating symptoms. Current research indicates that the length of time one has lived with the residuals of polio is as much of a risk factor as age.
Signs & Symptoms:
- Flu-like exhaustion increased by physical activity – may cause difficulty with concentration and memory
- Breathing/swallowing problems
- Muscle weakness
- Deterioration of mobility
- Difficulty performing daily activities such as cooking, cleaning, shopping, and driving
- Cold sensitivity
- Dark, purple "polio feet"
- "Word loss" - inability to recall words from one sentence to the next
- Brain damage that causes drop in serotonin levels