- A stroke occurs when the blood supply to the brain is suddenly blocked or when a blood vessel in the brain bursts.
- Stroke is the leading cause of long-term disability in the United States.
Stroke Info (Mayo Clinic)
Signs & Symptoms:
- Sudden numbness or weakness - especially on one side of the body
- Trouble speaking or understanding speech
- Trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Sudden trouble walking
- Dizziness or loss of balance/coordination
- Severe headache with no known cause
- Heart disease
- Cigarette smoking
- Heavy alcohol consumption/illicit drug use
- High cholesterol levels
- Genetic or congenital conditions
- High red blood cell count